Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday 5

WWW.FRIDAY 5.ORG

What is the longest distance you’ve traveled (in one trip) by foot?
7 miles.  In Edinburgh, one January.  It started snowing. I had never experienced snow like this in my life.  I live on the Clyde Coast, warmed (ha ha) by the gulf stream.  Snow is rare and when it does, short lived. I stayed 2 miles from the college, and contemplated walking but thought better of it.  It was 1/2 mile up a hill, 1/4 down, and then another 1/2 mile up.  Too far in the snow.  I waited for the bus. I waited an hour. It never arrived. I decided to get on the first bus and just juggle buses.  The bus took me to Lothian road -7 miles from my house.  And the bus driver announced the company were taking the buses off the road.  I nearly wept as I walked the 7 miles in a foot of snow and blizzard conditions. 


What is the longest trip you’ve taken by car?

1200 miles.  We drove from our home, in Ayrshire, to Dover.  We drove over night after a full day at work.  My husband and I alternated the driving to try and keep awake.   When we got off the ferry, we drove the same distance again across France.  At one stage, the children asked "are we just driving the whole holiday?".


What is the longest trip you’ve taken by plane?

New York.  That was enough. On the return Both children took ill, 20 minutes into the flight.   I spend the whole trip sitting between them, covered in vomit, switching sick bags to black bin bags.  It got worse, because the air craft held all the passengers until we had been removed from the plane by the AMBULANCE!!! 

What is the longest trip you’ve taken on some kind of water craft?

Dover to Calais.... But maybe actually Ardrossan to the Isle of Man.  Ardrossan to the Isle of Man is a bit scary actually, because it was 6 hours, most of which was spent in the bar, by the time we disembarked we were paralytic!

What is the longest trip you’ve taken aboard a bus or train?

The circuit bus No 52 In Edinburgh.  2½ hours of sheer hell.  It drove around the outskirts of Edinburgh, taking in the worst places in the city.  At times we were actually sore afraid!


No comments:

Post a Comment